Place those words front and center and all around jump-start thought with the following absurdities from our culture. Leave space for students to add their own "Only in America..." thoughts. Challenge them by leaving a sentence starter pre-copied paper available for their out-of-the-box contribution. Here are some seed sentences:
- Only in America...do drugstores make the sick walk to all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.
- Only in America...do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters
- Only in America...do we leave expensive cars in the driveway and put junk in the garage.
- Only in America...do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.
- ONLY in America...do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "Poli" in Latin means "many" and "tics means "blood-sucking creatures."
- Only in America...do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.
Not only will this get your students to laugh and view our cultural absurdities, but it will get this generation...THINKING!